6 Locations Across Wisconsin

My Spouse Refuses to Pay Child Support–Now What?

by | Nov 5, 2013

Let’s assume your ex-spouse or ex-partner is ordered to pay child support and he/she refuses to do so.  What are your next steps?  You may take action to enforce the court order either pro se, with your Wisconsin child support attorney or with the assistance of a County Child Support Agency Attorney.  Forms can be found at http://www.wicourts.gov/forms1/circuit/formcategory.jsp?Category=12.  You can ask that the court find your child’s parent in contempt and to order, by wage assignment, not only payment of child support, but also any arrearages, attorneys fees and costs.  Once the court has issued an order for arrearages, additional measures may be taken by the county or state.  Federal tax refunds may be intercepted.  Driver’s licenses and other professional licenses may also be suspended if a parent is delinquent on child support payments.  Be aware that there is no relationship between a parent’s right to see his or her child and nonpayment of child support.  A parent’s placement will not be reduced because he or she has fallen into arrearage on a child support obligation.  Contact your Wisconsin child support attorney to take action against a parent who is not meeting his or her child support obligations.

Written by Linda Vanden Heuvel

Linda is a skilled litigator but also has the ability to negotiate favorable settlements on behalf of her clients. She saves her clients time, money, and emotional distress through settlement negotiations.
Divorce | Family Law

24 Hour Access

Related Articles